South Metro Housing Options (SMHO) was formed as the Littleton Housing Authority in 1971 under the laws of the State of Colorado and operates in six areas:
1. Direct owner/provider of moderate to low-income housing;
2. Developer of moderate to low-income housing;
3. Manager of moderate to low-income housing;
4. Manager of programs for the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the City of Littleton, and the Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA);
5. Housing Rehabilitation in the City of Littleton;
6. Construction of homeownership homes for moderate-income families, whenever possible.
In 2012, the Littleton Housing Authority began doing business as South Metro Housing Options (SMHO). SMHO currently owns and manages various housing programs consisting of approximately 600 units within the community. The programs include rental housing for elderly and disabled persons, frail elderly requiring 24-hour protective oversight, and families who live within SMHO-owned affordable housing or receive rent subsidy through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD.) In addition, SMHO administers a housing rehabilitation program within the community, and Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher programs for the City of Littleton, Arapahoe County and the Colorado Division of Housing.
It is the policy of South Metro Housing Options to comply fully with all federal, state and local nondiscrimination laws, the Americans with Disabilities Act and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development regulations governing Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity.
Various resident programs, including awarding college and vocational scholarships, the Sneaker Fund, Perfect Attendance celebrations, and Pack the Backpacks are housing authority annual events.
The Strategic Objectives of SMHO are as follows:
1.Strengthen leadership within the community.
2. Anticipate and meet the needs of the community.
3. Increase sustainability to maintain/enhance the quality of life in the community.
4. Enhance a Positive Image in the Community.
5. Increase Operational Efficiencies and Effectiveness
Smoke Free Housing Policy
Click here to download SMHO's Smoke Free Housing Policy.